Our agriculture operations are mainly based around the Bunyoro sub-region in western Uganda and the Lango sub-region in northern Uganda, with emphasis on production of oil seed crops, mainly sunflower and soya. We run a commercial farm at Kiryandongo and operate production facility in Lira, both under A.K. Oils and Fats (U) Ltd.
Our involvement in the agricultural sector has resulted in:
- Provision of a livelihood to the communities through formal employment
- Provision of a steady and reliable market for the farmers' produce
- Tax remittance to the local and central Government
- Development of socio-economic infrastructure in the region such as feeder roads
- Imparting of technical farming knowledge to the farmers through agricultural extension services and demonstration plots
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities in sectors of education and health
- A "win-win" partnership has been achieved by working hand-in-hand with over 72,000 small holder farmers in an out grower program
- The farmers have been organized into Farmer Groups, supported by over 250 lead farmers and production officers.
- Our involvment has resulted in a 400% increase in sunflower production in the region. Currently over 60,000MT of grain is purchased from farmers annually.
- Crushing of sunflower and soya for edible oil and animal feed cake.
- Solvent Extraction Plant (SEP) to further extract residue oils in sunflower and soya cake.
- Milling of maize flour
- Silo storage systems to maintain quality of the grain
- Investment in machinery and equipment makes the 4,000 acre farm stand out as a pioneer of modern, commercialized agriculture in Uganda.
- Production is focused on sunflower, maize and soya, which form the raw materials for the Group's industries.